13 May 2011

Melon Season in Zambia

This past week I needed to be in Zambia on some work related activity. My itinerary required me to travel south from Lusaka towards the town of Choma, and beyond. On the way back to Lusaka, the following day we passed many small stands by the roadside selling fruit and vegetables.  This woman was glad to make a sale and her spontaneous smile and laughter was a joy to behold.




It was indeed melon, squash and pumpkin season as these photos attest. While I had assisted in the purchase of the melons (we bought two) I was unfortunate enough not to get to taste them as I had to fly back to Johannesburg the following day. I am sure they will be as sweet and delectable as they appear and my friends Jason, Jared and Justin will surely enjoy them!

It is moving towards the cooler season in Zambia. Nights dropped to 13C but daytime highs were in the mid-20C's.

MCC has some significant food security projects in the southern province of Zambia utilizing conservation agriculture techniques as a project framework. Working closely with communities it is enabling small subsistence farmers to increase yields and reduce the amount of time they are without adequate food.

No comments:

Post a Comment